Named for the town of Maidstone in England, Maidstone
was granted to Samuel Averill and others in 1761. Wooded, hilly and
with few people, it is bordered to the east by the Connecticut River.
Logging has always been Maidstone's main industry, and
in 1999 much of the town became part of the Champion Lands. Maidstone
is probably best known as the site of the 796-acre Maidstone Lake
and the state park which bears its name.