Located in Rutland County, Mount Tabor was granted by
Benning Wentworth in 1761. Originally named Harwich after Will Hills,
Baron Harwich, it was changed in 1803 to honor longtime resident and
Revolutionary War hero Gideon Tabor.
Mount Tabor is almost totally within the Green
Mountain National Forest, making it very rugged and sparely populated.
The only East-West road, Route 10, even closes in the winter.
The only settlement in the town is the village of Mount